Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#463445 - 12/19/18 05:21 AM Re: Chas " I Remember Clifford" [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Eddie,

Thanks!

Sal Fransosi was a great teacher back in the day I spent a lot of time at the piano.

#463448 - 12/19/18 06:32 AM Re: Chas " I Remember Clifford" [Re: Stephenm52]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Originally Posted By montunoman
Hey Stephen,

I really liked your rendition. I’m a bit of a frustrated pianist myself and spend most of my practice time behind the piano rather than the arranger. Let me ask you this; On the solo piano pieces that you have posted, did you learn them from a special arrangement written for piano, a lead sheet or by ear? Any tips on solo jazz piano would be appreciated!

Paul most of the jazz style tunes I play are from jazz transcriptions/special arrangements. When it comes to playing by ear that's a weak point for me so I never learn solo piano by ear. So far as advice the only thing I can say is continue to spend as much time you can practicing but you know that already.

I'll give you the run down how I was taught years back when I was working with a piano teacher. He had me working out of the Hanon series books for technique, also Czerny for technique as I advanced. Each week he'd assign technique exercise(s), a pop tune, a classical work, later when I wanted to take a crack at improvising he had me study chords. I could spend weeks on more difficult tunes so it wasn't necessarily a new tune every week. When it came to jazz he'd recommend a book of jazz transcriptions then I'd take and learn them note by note.

Today I don't spend any time with classical type music but when I can I take the Hanon book and play 10 or so of the basic finger excercises to keep my strength up in the weaker fingers. Hope that helps you!

As a side note, I learned "I Remember Clifford " in the early 90s and hadn't played it in years then Chas posted a version of it and I thought I gotta play that again. When I played it thru the first time I found it needed work so for about a week I spent about an hour a day working on it to get out the rought spots.

Thank you Stephen for outlining your training. I find that pertucular topic very interesting but not often discussed.

I work almost daily on Hanson, mostly just the first couple exercise but I transpose them to a diffent key each practice session. I never worked out of the Czerny book, but I’ll research that more.

For most of the solo piano pieces I’ve just worked out using lead sheets from fake books. But I feel like I need some new ideas for solo piano ( especially LH) Maybe those written out arrangements will help with that. Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online